MACON, Ga. (October 5, 2022) — More than $500,000 in relief funds were recently awarded to a second group of Macon-Bibb travel and tourism-focused businesses and organizations. This was made possible through financial support received as part of the American Rescue Funds Act. Since May of this year, over $1,000,000 in total relief has been provided to more than 20 different local travel & tourism organizations and businesses.
Applicants who were not selected to be first-round grant recipients were encouraged to reapply for the second round of grant funding, which began on July 1, 2022. Grant applications were reviewed by a committee consisting of local community foundation and tourism industry leaders. The following applicants were selected to receive tourism recovery funding:
- Community Foundation of Central Georgia ($100,000 for Macon-Bibb Bicentennial)
- Georgia Music Foundation ($10,000 for Capricorn Songwriter Series)
- Georgia Sports Hall of Fame ($53,000 for Belief in the Extraordinary video series)
- Macon Arts Alliance ($50,000 for Macon Music Economy Strategy Plan)
- Macon Marriott/Convention Center ($65,000 for Event Staging)
- Moonhanger Group ($15,000 for Weekly Macon Music Revue)
- Ocmulgee Mounds Association ($50,000 for Ocmulgee Cultural Series, 2 years)
- Otis Redding Foundation ($150,000 for Otis Redding Homecoming Festival, 3 years)
- Rotary ($15,000 for Macon Beer Fest)
- Tubman African-American Museum ($50,000 for Tyler Perry Exhibit)
“With this second round of American Rescue Fund allocations, Visit Macon is assisting partners with tourism recovery projects that will enhance our events, attractions and hospitality-based businesses,” said Visit Macon President & CEO Gary Wheat. “These projects attract visitors to our city, which enhances the economic recovery from Covid here in Macon-Bibb.”
As Macon-Bibb’s tourism industry continues to welcome visitors from across the globe, support from the American Rescue Funds Act will aid these recipients in creating unique events, attractions, exhibits, and programs, all of which showcase the Soul of Macon.